Superhero blockbuster The Avengers has taken more at the Australian box office in three weeks, pocketing $39 million, than The Hunger Games has in eight, with $30.7 million.
Sitting at number one for the third weekend in a row, the Chris Hemsworth-starring film took $5.19 million at the weekend, easily outpacing Johnny Depp's new film Dark Shadows, which managed $3.72 million during its first weekend in cinemas.
Dark Shadows edged last week's number two film, The Five-Year Engagement, into third position, according to figures supplied by the Motion Picture Distributors Association of Australia.
Last weekend's fourth-placed movie, the Best Exotic Merigold Hotel, stayed in that place while Jason Statham's latest action flick Safe debuted in fifth position.
Zac Efron's romance The Lucky One dropped three places to sixth, while Salmon Fishing in the Yemen climbed up two places from ninth to seventh.
The Hunger Games dropped two places to number eight, Act of Valour fell four spots to ninth, while last week's number 10 movie, Aussie thriller Wish You Were Here, stayed where it was to round out the top 10.
TOP 10 AT THE AUSTRALIAN BOX OFFICE THIS WEEKEND:
1. The Avengers - $5.198 million (Walt Disney)
2. Dark Shadows - $3.728 million (Roadshow)
3. The Five Year Engagement - $1.367 million (Universal)
4. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - $482,224 (Fox)
5. Safe - $442,840 (Icon)
6. The Lucky One - $335,377 (Roadshow)
7. Salmon Fishing In The Yemen - $187,424 (Roadshow)
8. The Hunger Games - $184,344 (Roadshow)
9. Act Of Valour - $163,862 (Roadshow)
10. Wish You Were Here - $154,479 (EOne/Hopscotch)